Monday, March 11, 2013

...without the wind at your back...

Wow!  When we last left our intrepid explorer, he had just bought himself a new e-car.  Yesterday, after many life-altering delays, he started work on attaching the rear window and canvas (Jeep-style) doors.  Estimated time on the instructions? Less than one hour.  The instructions clearly state that you must install the rear window first as you won't be able to after installing the snaps for the doors.  Good thinking.  Should take 30 minutes or less.  3 HOURS later, the window is in with a break in one corner.  No hardware was included for the window install, so I bought sheet metal screws at Lowe's, pre-drilled the holes, and so on.  The heads of the Taiwan made screws SNAPPED OFF!  even when done by hand.  Not stripped out.  Not got stuck.  Snapped off like a crawfish head...leaving a new hole to be drilled in both window and roll cage or the screw drilled out.  At first I was going to abandon the project until a new window + correct hardware could be ordered, but my "manly ego" and natural stubbornness took hold and sat on my shoulder whispering "Figure it out.  Find a way.  You can do it.  Buy a pizza. Have a beer."  Well I did, dammit!  [not the pizza and beer part, though]  So today, after lunch, I will finally install the snaps for the doors and the doors themselves.  I am man, hear me roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment